1/3 Photos of Vincent Price Sopa Poblano - Poblano Chile Soup
This recipe is adapted from one in Vincent and Mary Price's "A Treasury of Great Recipes." Although it appears amongst those from the Rivoli Restaurant in Mexico City, it doesn't appear to be from the restaurant itself. "This hearty soup, a sort of Mexican minestrone, is made with both [corn and chiles], as you might expect, but it is the unexpected ingredients that make it so good." Let me tell you... this soup is OUTSTANDING. I've made a lot of soups, and this is one of my favorites. I'll be making it often in years to come!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 lb lean pork, in small cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1/2 medium onion)
- 1 cup corn, freshly scraped from ear is preferred (1 ear fresh corn)
- 1 poblano chile, seeded and thinly sliced (for spicier use greener poblanos, for sweeter use red-ish poblanos)
- 1 cup thinly sliced zucchini (1 small zucchini)
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt, to taste
- fresh cilantro stem, for garnish
- 1In a large saucepan, heat the oil, then add the pork and sauté over medium heat, stirring frequently, until browned, about 7 minutes.
- 2Add the chopped onion, corn, poblano chile, zucchini, tomato puree, and the chicken stock.
- 3Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- 4Add the avocado and Parmesan cheese, stir to incorporate, then season with salt to taste, and garnish with cilantro springs and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vincent Price Sopa Poblano - Poblano Chile Soup
Serving Size: 1 (439 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 322.2
- Calories from Fat 159
- Total Fat 17.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 29.4 mg
- Sodium 464.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 8.6 g
- Protein 17.8 g