Recipe by Julesong
Posted by request, here is Mr. Price's recipe for cheese knots! "Marvelous to serve with soups or salads." From "A Treasury of Great Recipes."
- 8 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons double-acting baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups cold butter (original uses shortening) or 2 cups shortening (original uses shortening)
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- cayenne pepper, to taste (or sweet paprika, if you don't like spicy)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- With a pastry cutter or two knives, cut in the cold butter into the dry ingredients.
- Add the milk and stir with a fork until the dough holds together.
- Gather dough into a ball, then divide into 4 equal portions; lightly knead each portion 15 strokes.
- On a lightly-floured board roll out one of the portions to 1/4 inch thick, sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheddar, then fold dough in half and roll it back out to 1/4-inch thick and about 6 inches wide.
- Cut the cheesed dough crosswise into 1/2-inch strips, tie each into a loose knot, and place on a non-stick or lightly sprayed baking sheet 1 inch apart from each other; sprinkle with cayenne pepper to taste.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Repeat the steps to add the cheese to the dough, cutting into strips, tying, and baking with the other 3 portions of dough.