Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Full disclosure -- this recipe is really a combination of two recipes found here on Recipezaar: Pasta Salad Supreme and Italian Garden Pasta Salad. It is basically pasta, cut-up veggies and a kick-ass dressing with fresh herbs (the dressing came from Italian Garden Pasta Salad). It very closely approximates a pasta salad I used to make using a spice mix from McCormick's that I haven't been able to find in the grocery store for some time. Now, I can make my own :) The prep time does NOT include refrigerating time.
- 16 -20 ounces pasta (rotini, ziti, or penne)
- 5 cups vegetables, cut-up (grape tomatoes, red or green or yellow or orange peppers, carrots, peas)
- 3 tablespoons scallions, diced for garnish (optional)
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle Italian dressing (I use Kraft Reduced Fat House Italian)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Be sure not to overcook as mushy pasta isn't so good in pasta salad.
- Meanwhile, prepare dressing.
- Cut-up or prepare vegetables.
- Once cooked, drain pasta well but don't rinse (the dressing will adhere better if you don't rinse the pasta).
- Combine pasta, dressing and vegetables and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. I reserve about 1/2 cup of the dressing to add right before serving.
Absolutely great tasting salad for the warmer weather, & I'll be making this one off & on through the summer months, thanks to you! I made it with rotini, which I almost always have on hand, & included the listed veggies as well as some cut up green beans (with garlic) that were left from a previous meal! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for oneo f my adoptees in this Spring's Pick A Chef event]