Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Created by: Viki. Approx. 1995 Thanks Viki! NOTE: may have leftover shredded cheese, store in ziploc bag or be dangerous and use it all!...so cheesy!...just do not over run the pan. add sugar if you get a too much ‘bite taste of tomato’…to taste of course, lightly plz. the best way to serve is do the nite before, sit in fridge, place in oven to heat up (or can cut in squares and micro)...and of course those dandy ziploc holders are great for freezing...
- 1 (16 ounce) box lasagna noodles
- 1 lb Italian sausage (crumble, cook and drain, set aside)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (recipe asks for large can, but that's not accepted)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce (used to simmer down tom juice but then measurement was off!)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning mix, dry
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed (add more to taste if like garlic...uuum!)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (did use chopped onion but could not get same flavor)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley (or more to taste & add end of simmering)
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano (add end of simmering)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese
- 1 lb longhorn cheddar cheese
- 1 lb parmesan cheese (bulk)
- 1 (8 ounce) packagesliced provolone cheese (holds the sausage in middle when layered)
- 1 lb romano cheese
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook the sauce down to be a little thickness,not runny -- that way can do the 'taste test' while simmer -- do not boil.That usually takes a hour or so -- but do not make it too thick -- usually by the time all the other stuff is done it has cooled down to warm. if you prep ahead of course cold is good -- may take longer in oven --
- Find a willing volunteer to do the ‘mise en place’ shredding, keep each cheese in separate place, do not mix up.
- I DO NOT COOK THE LASAGNA PASTA. PLACE IN PAN DRY.
- Start with sauce on bottom.
- Sprinkle with motz, jack, cheddar, longhorn.
- Middle should be about now…sauce, layer on slices of provolone, top this with the sausage…add the parmesan and romano…then little more sauce.
- Then follow up with the rest of layers listed in order above.
- SAVE some parmesan for the top.
- Spray pan, I have used the 9x12 but then the pasta curls out on edges and u have to cut back on the cheeses & sauce…usually a pan used for lasagna maybe 14’…pasta will look strange because they are dry but will expand and absorb the juices…bake 350 degrees, foil top, approx 45 min…please check and make sure foil is loose so as no cheese sticks when removed.
- REMOVE WITH CARE…ITS PRETTY HEAVY! -- but ‘dee-lish-eee-ooh-soo’…VJK.