Recipe by Viki Williams
I have always loved Tortilla soup. I couldn't find a good one so I made this one up myself. It isn't as difficult as it looks and is awesome in flavor.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 medium mexican squash zucchini, cut and cubed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans hominy, drained
- 1 big onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 -4 tablespoons chili powder
- 6 dried New Mexico chiles
- garlic salt
- lime, sliced in 1/4 's
- cilantro, leafs chopped (kinda med)
- grated cheese, any you like cheddar, colby
- plain tortilla chips
Directions See How It's Made
- First, Take 6 dried chili's and cut off ends and take seeds out and soak them in hot water to soften for about 30 minutes.
- Put them in blender with about 1/4 cup of the water they soaked in and liquefy.
- Take small wire strainer and pour into it over bowl and mash through strainer as much as you can.Use the water they were soaked in to pour over strainer to get all flavor from chiles.
- Throw away what is left after all is strained out.
- Put chicken breasts in large stew pot with lots of water to boil and add onions and garlic and spices.
- As this is boiling, add squash, tomato sauce, tomatoes and garlic salt to taste.
- Simmer about 30 minutes.
- Add strained chili's and hominy and simmer for 30 more minutes.
- When done, serve in bowls and top with a small amount of cilantro and cheese.
- Squeeze lime juice in to taste.
- Serve with corn chips to crush in soup and enjoy!