Recipe by mell_2
I have yet to try this one but like for most of Vij's recipes, I reduced the amount of oil.
Top Review by melodux
Once i stumbled on to this recipe almost a year ago, i haven't made another curry since. I agree to leave it around 1/4th a cup. I have made this a bunch of times, and i do agree with Gay, that the amount of water is almost unnecessary. I usually put it in, because i like the extra sauce left over.. (throw it in a pot and add some shirmp or something. mmm) I also tend to up the garam masala to 1.5 tbsp cayenne pepper, just shy of 1tsp as well as the cumin, and a larger stick of cinnamon. I really like the flavour when its stronger and a little more spicy. Even better the next day. I also leave out the cilantro and it tastes perfectly delicious with out it.
- 1⁄8 cup canola oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 inches cinnamon sticks
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garam masala (def. worth making your own from scratch)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 lbs chicken, bone-in
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream, stirred
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil on medium.
- Add the onions and the cinnamon stick and sauté until the onions turn golden (5-8 minutes).
- Add garlic and cook for another 4 minutes.
- Add ginger, tomatoes and your spice mix (salt, black pepper, turmeric, cumin, coriander, garam masala and cayenne). Cook for 5 minutes or until the oil separates.
- Now in with the chicken:.
- Skin the chicken rinse them (you can do this while the masala cooks).
- Add chicken to the masala, turning and coating the pieces well.
- Cook for 10 minutes, until the chicken starts to brown.
- Stir in the sour cream and water and increase the heat to medium-high.
- Wait for a boil, reduce heat and cover. Cook for 15 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked, being sure to stir the pot a few times.
- When your chicken is cooked, remove the pan from the heat. Fish out the cinnamon and let your food cool for 30 minutes or more. Remove the chicken from the pot and its meat from its bones before adding the meat back into the masala.
- Before serving, heat it all up again on medium heat until it starts to simmer. Remove from the heat, stir in cilantro.