1 hr 10 mins
lynnski / LA's Note:
Indian merchants introduced curries to Vietnam more than ten centuries ago. The Vietnamese made curry their own by adding their own flavors such as lemongrass and ginger. For this recipe, use the Vietnamese curry powder called Golden Bells. It's milder (less cumin and fennel seeds) and won't overwhelm the lemongrass and ginger. In case it's not available, I've included a recipe for a curry powder to make at home. For a variations of this recipe, try yucca, taro, cauliflower, long beans and chayote. The recipe is adapted from the book, Pleasures of the Vietnamese Table, by Mai Pham. The Vietnamese curry recipe is from, A World of Curries, by Dave DeWitt.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili paste, ground
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup water
- 2 pieces dried bean curd skin, soaked in cold water for 30 minutes, drained and cut into one-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 lemongrass, stalk cut into 3-inch lengths, and lightly bruised with the flat side of a knife
- 1 inch gingerroot, peeled and cut into 3 slices
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 1/2 yellow onion, cut into wedges
- 1 sweet potato, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 tomato, cut into thin wedges
- 5 sprigs fresh cilantro, cut into 2-inch lengths
Vietnamese Curry Powder (use 2 Tablespoons)
- 1.Heat the oil in a wok or a large pot over moderate heat, add the shallots, garlic and curry powder and stir until fragrant, about 20 seconds.
- 2Add the chili paste, soy sauce, salt, sugar, coconut milk, turmeric, water, bean curd skins, lemongrass and ginger, then combine.
- 3Add the carrots and onion, then cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 4Add the sweet potato, cauliflower and tomato and cook until the veggies are tender, another 15 minutes or so.
- 5Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with cilantro.
- 6Serve with steamed jasmine rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vietnamese Vegetable Curry
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 294.6
- Calories from Fat 201
- Total Fat 22.3 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 519.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried bean curd skin