Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Cooking time includes marinating time.
- 1 (250 g) package firm tofu
- 1 cucumber, chopped into thin strips approx. 2 inch in length
- 1 red pepper, chopped into thin strips approx. 2 inch in length
- 80 g mange-touts peas, finely sliced on a diagonal
- 3 -4 spring onions, finely sliced on a diagonal
- 150 g bean sprouts, washed
- 50 g dry roasted peanuts, crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh coriander leaves
Dressing or Marinade
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 small red chilies, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Make up the dressing/marinade by mixing all the dressing ingredients together in a bowl.
- Set aside.
- Drain the tofu on kitchen paper and cut the block in half and then slice each block through on it’s horizontal line leaving 4 “steaks”.
- Place the steaks of tofu in a flat dish and pour over about a ¼ of the marinade leaving for about 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a fry pan over a medium setting and gently place the slices of tofu into the pan.
- Fry until brown and the edges are starting to crisp up.
- Remove from the pan and leave to cool.
- Once cooled slice into ¼ inch strips.
- In a large bowl mix together the shredded cucumber, red pepper, mange tout, spring onions, bean sprouts, crushed roasted peanuts, sliced marinated tofu and coriander.
- Pour over the remaining dressing and gently toss to coat all ingredients.
Wow, nice! BF and I together downed this entire dish in one day. I toned down the chilies for my BF's sake, otherwise no changes. I did not use silken tofu as I felt it would break apart during cooking and tossing. Instead I used extra-firm organic tofu which seems to hold together much better. I browned for about 2 1/2 minutes each side. Wasn't sure how much 1 bunch coriander leaves would be exactly (the corander bunches available where I live are pretty big), but I added about a quarter cup. When serving be sure to scoop up enough dressing from the bottom of the bowl, it was awesome! Will most certainly make this again! Thanks very much.