Recipe by Chrissyo
A Vietnamese family who own and run our local fish'n chip shop gave me this recipe. The beef takes up a beautiful flavour. Make sure you use fresh beef for the recipe. I prefer to use the rib eye fillet cut. It is easier for me to carve. A great summer dish for those hot, hot summer days.
Vietnamese Sugar Cured Beef
- 1 (500 g) rump steak or 1 (500 g) rib steak fillets
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 200 g lump sugar
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon white peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small hot chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1⁄2 cup mint leaf
- 1⁄4 cup vietnamese mint leaf (optional)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 lebanese cucumber, sliced
- 100 g rice vermicelli, soaked in boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove any visible fat from meat.
- Marinade meat in sherry for 10 minutes.
- Remove beef from sherry marinade.
- Crush the sugar, coriander seeds, salt and white peppercorns in a mortar and pestle, then coat marinated beef.
- Lay a double layer of plastic wrap out on a flat surface.
- Wrap beef tightly in wrap with sugar and salt and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, remove the wrap and wipe off the sugar and salt with some paper towel.
- You can rinse this off if desired under water.
- Thinly slice beef and serve over Vietnamese salad then drizzle with dressing.
- Dressing: Combine dressing ingredients and pour half over the cucumber, bean sprouts and herbs and toss well.
- Serve on a bed of cooked and drained vermicelli topped with combined cucumber, sprouts and herbs, then layer with sugar-cured beef and extra dressing.