Recipe by Sondra Beth
This is a recipe from Toni Lydecker that I acquired from Wine Enthusiast Magazine. Great for summer picnic or outing. The beef-noodle comibination marinates en route to the picnic, while the greens and vegetables, packed separately stay cool and crisp. Toss with soy lime dressing just before serving..
Top Review by mianbao
An excellent salad, thoroughly enjoyed. I added rather more vegetables, and as a result would have preferred just a little more dressing. Something to think about next time. Thank you very much for posting this delicious recipe.
- 4 ounces rice noodles (vermicelli)
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lb sirloin steak, trimmed well
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small boston lettuce head (about 5 cups) or 1 small bibb lettuce, shredded (about 5 cups)
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup grated peeled carrot
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mint leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small sauce pan, cook the noodles in boiling water until soft, about 3 minutes. Drain and rinse. Transfer noodles to a medium bowl and let cool.
- In a small jar, combine the soy sauce, lime juice, sugar, garlic, and pepper flakes and shake until the dressing is well combined.
- Slice the steak against the grain into thin strips. ( Note much easier to slice thin strips when steak is partially frozen).
- In a wok or large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add the beef, in batches, and stir-fry until just cooked through.
- Transfer the beef to the bowl with the noodles.
- Add half the dressing and toss until well coated. Let cool.
- In another bowl, combine the lettuce, cucumber, carrot, and mint.
- (If you are making the dish as picnic fare, transfer the beef-noodle mixture to a resealable plastic bag and the vegetable mixture to a covered plastic container and place both, along with the jar of remaining dressing in a cooler. Remove from cooler about 30 minutes before serving.).
- Just before serving, toss the greens with the remaining dressing and divide among 4 plates. Top each with the beef-noodle salad.
- Recommended wine: Gewurztraminer.