Got this from a Food and Wine email and posting it as I thought it looked rather interesting. Recipe by Joanne Chang. "Is this an American take on a Vietnamese classic or a Vietnamese take on an American classic? Either way, these spicy burgers topped with Tabasco-spiced mayonnaise, slivers of crunchy pickled carrots and sprigs of cilantro are wonderful." I think I'd opt to try these on the bbq instead of frying ...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar, unseasoned
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- one 24-inch baguette, quartered crosswise and split
- 2 pickled jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced
- 12 fresh cilantro stems
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a small bowl, toss the carrots with the rice vinegar and sugar and let stand for 10 minutes; drain.
- 2In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the Tabasco, tomato paste and garlic; season with salt and pepper.
- 3Form the meat into four 6-inch-long oval patties about 1 inch thick. Season with the curry powder and salt and pepper. (I think I would just mix this into the meat?).
- 4In a large skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Cook patties over moderate heat, turning once, until medium (about 12 minutes).
- 5Meanwhile, spread the butter on the cut sides of the baguette. Set the bread cut side up on a baking sheet and bake for about 5 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- 6Spread the Tabasco-spiked mayonnaise on the bread and top each baguette section with a burger patty, pickled shredded carrots, pickled jalapeno slices and cilantro springs.
- 7Close sandwiches and serve hot.
- 8Make Ahead: Mayonnaise and carrots can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vietnamese-Style Banh Mi Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (268 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 646.9
- Calories from Fat 466
- Total Fat 51.7 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 140.2 mg
- Sodium 577.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 30.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: