Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
Altered version of a recipe found in Vegetarian Cooking Around the World cookbook.
- 1 lb firm tofu, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (reduced sodium is best)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped scallion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (less if you prefer less spicy foods)
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and refrigerate for up to two hours, covered, to allow tofu to absorb seasonings.
- Transfer ingredients to a heat-resistant bowl.
- Fill a steamer with 1/2 c water and bring to boil.
- Place entire bowl into steamer, cover, and steam over medium heat for 25 minutes. Add boiling water to bottom of steamer if it begins to run low.
- Best served plain or with steamed brown rice.