Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are really yummy - good, vibrant flavour and not difficult to make at all. Does not include marinating time of at least 1 hour.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks
- 2 lemons, juice and rind of
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Cut beef across the grain in thin slices; combine lemon peel, juice, 2 tablespoons sugar, sesame oil, 1 teaspoon salt and black pepper in medium bowl; add beef; toss to coat; cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Combine water, vinegar, remaining 4 tablespoons sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt in small saucepan; bring to a boil; boil 5 minutes without stirring until syrupy; stir in crushed red pepper; set aside.
- Remove beef from marinade; discard marinade.
- Thread beef onto metal or wooden skewers (soak wooden skewers in hot water 30 minutes to prevent burning); grill beef over medium-hot briquette about 3 minutes per side until cooked through.
- Grill tortillas until hot.
- Place lettuce, onion, beef, mint and cilantro on tortillas; drizzle with vinegar mixture; roll tortillas to enclose filling.
- Note: You can also grill these under a preheated broiler or flash-fry.
omg these are wonderful. I used bison to lower the fat, and added some ginger and garlic to the marinade. Vibrant flavor indeed. The drizzle just marries everything together perfectly Will make again and again, next time adding a birds eye chili cut in half to the sugar/rice wine vinegar. It does need a little more heat to balance but thats my taste.
this was a simply flavored dish that we all felt was missing something. in the end i wound up serving this with your peanut sauce, which definitely added alot more flavor. i did wind up marinating the cut strips of flank steak for about 3 hours, it had a nice lemony flavor.