Recipe by That is Dr House to you
Hoisin Peanut Dipping Sauce (recipe follows). We have Vietnamese spring rolls on zaar, but what happens if you want a meatless version for some reason. eHow supplied the answer.
- 12 oriental dried mushrooms
- 1 large carrot, cut into julienne strips
- 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 3 cups vegetable oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 14 egg roll wraps
- 1 egg, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain and rinse your bean sprouts. The wrappers should be 7 inches.
- Rehydrate the oriental mushrooms in hot water for 30 minutes.
- Toss the carrot with 1 tsp sugar until mixed then let sit tossing occasionally for 15 minutes.
- Drain the mushrooms save 1/2 cup of the liquid. Squeeze excess water out of the mushrooms then cut off stems and cut caps into thin slices.
- Heat the wok over med high. When hot drizzle 2 tbsp oil into it and heat for 30 seconds. Add the onion and stir fry for a minute. Then add the mushrooms, garlic and liquid reducing heat to medium. Cover and cook about 3 minutes. Mushrooms should be tender. Uncover add the soy sauce and sesame oil and sugar.
- Cook and stir mushroom mixture 3 to 5 minutes more or until all liquid has evaporated. Transfer mushroom mixture to medium bowl; set aside to cool slightly. Cook stirring for about 4 minutes. Liquid should be gone. Then set aside in bowl to cool. Add the carrot strips and bean sprouts to mix and toss lightly.
- Place a wrapper on surface and keep rest covered. Drain mushroom mix and place 3 tbsp on wrapper's bottom 3rd. Brush edges with beaten egg.
- Now: Fold bottom corner up over filling.
- Fold in and overlap the opposite right and left corners to form 3-1/2-inch-wide log. Roll up filling to remaining corner and place spring roll on tray covered with plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- Now take the remaining 3 cups of oil, place in wok and heat. You want 375F on a deep fry thermometer. Fry 4 rolls 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Reheat oil and do next batch. Repeat until all are used. Drain on paper towels. Place on serving tray with dipping sauce. Serve.