Member #610488's Note:
These Spring Rolls need to be served with either Vietnamese Dipping Sauce (Nuoc Cham) or a Hoisin-Peanut Dipping Sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 ounces thin dried rice vermicelli
- 1/4 English cucumber, unpeeled
- 1/2 large carrot, peeled
- 10 (8 1/2 inch) rice paper sheets (banh trang)
- 5 red leaf lettuce, torn in half crosswise
- 1/2 granny smith apple, peeled cored very thinly sliced lengthwise
- 30 mint leaves
- 40 cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup French-fried onions
- 1Put noodles in a large bowl and cover with just-boiling water. Let noodles sit until tender (5 to 8 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, cut cucumber and carrot into 4 inch lengths and then into matchsticks, using a mandolin or other hand-held slicer, to yield 1/2 cup matchsticks of each (or cut cucumber into matchsticks with a knife and coarsely shred carrots).
- 3Drain noodles and rinse with cold water. Spread noodles out on a baking sheet lined with a kitchen towel. Pat dry.
- 4Divide noodles into 2 long "logs," then cut with scissors to total 10 equal portions.
- 5Set out all ingredients near a work surface. Pour very hot tap water into a large shallow bowl such as a pie plate. Submerge 1 rice-paper wrapper until moistened and softened slightly but not completely pliable (it will continue to soften as you work with it).
- 6Lay wrapper on work surface and put 1/2 lettuce leaf in center. Mound 1 portion of noodles on lettuce followed by about one-tenth of the cucumber, carrot, and apple slices, 3 mint leaves, 4 cilantro leaves and a sprinkling of onions.
- 7Arrange ingredients into a rectangle about 4 inches long. Fold paper over short ends of filling, then roll up tightly from a long side. Repeat to make remaining rolls.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vietnamese Spring Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (1848 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 68.2
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 59.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice paper sheets