Deliciously fresh and healthy, and served with a tangy cashew dipping sauce, or Hoisin sauce if you prefer, these Vietnamese shrimp rolls make a lovely appetiser.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 7.39 ml soy sauce
- 2.46 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml rice vermicelli
- 59.14 ml finely sliced green onion
- 4.92 ml rice wine vinegar
- 226.79 g baby shrimp, cooked and diced
- 118.29 ml shredded carrot
- 59.14 ml fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 59.14 ml fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 118.29 ml alfalfa sprout
- 118.29 ml finely shredded lettuce
- 12 round rice paper sheets
Red Curry Mayonnaise
- 118.29 ml mayonnaise (optional)
- 9.85 ml Thai red curry paste (optional)
- 4.92 ml lime juice (optional)
- 2.46 ml water (optional)
Cashew Dipping Sauce
- 1Prepare all ingredients before assembling rolls.
- 2If using, combine the mayonnaise, Thai red curry paste, lime juice and water, mix well until thoroughly blended and refrigerate until needed.
- 3Cook the rice vermicelli according to the packet directions until al dente, rinse in cold water, drain well, and chop into 2 to 3 lengths.
- 4Soak the dried shiitake mushrooms in warm water for 30 minutes until reconstituted, then drain, reserving ¾ cup soaking liquid.
- 5Remove and dispense of stalks, and thinly slice caps.
- 6Cook shiitake in reserved liquid until mushrooms are tender and liquid evaporates.
- 7Season mushrooms with soy sauce and sugar, set aside and let cool.
- 8Add the rice wine vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste, to the green onions, mix well and set aside.
- 9Place all ingredients, including the shrimp, shredded carrot, cilantro, mint, alfalfa sprouts and lettuce in separate piles on your work surface.
- 10Fill a shallow casserole dish with warm water.
- 11Immerse rice wrappers, four at a time, into the water until pliable (about 45 seconds).
- 12Arrange wrappers on paper towelling to drain, but keep moist by placing a damp paper towel over each wrapper.
- 13Working one wrapper at a time, thinly spread some of the mayonnaise/red curry mixture (if using) with a knife over the lower 1/3rd of the rice wrapper.
- 14Top with thin layers of noodles, shrimp, mushrooms, green onions, carrot, cilantro, mint, alfalfa and lettuce.
- 15Roll the rice wrapper over once, tightly, from bottom, then fold in the two sides to completely enclose the filling.
- 16Continue folding the wrapper over until completely rolled.
- 17Place finished roll seam-side down on a serving plate, and cover with a damp paper towel to prevent spring rolls from becoming dry before serving.
- 18Slice each roll diagonally in half, to serve.
- 19Serve with a cashew dipping sauce or a diluted mixture of hoisin sauce and water.
- 20Cashew Dipping Sauce: Toast the cashew nuts on a cookie sheet in a 400-degree F oven until golden, then chop finely.
- 21Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring.
- 22Remove from heat, add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- 23Add as much or as little dried red pepper flakes, according to your preference.
- 24Correct consistency with a little extra water if necessary.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vietnamese Shrimp Rolls with Cashew Dipping Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (955 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 116.8
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 36.8 mg
- Sodium 419.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 7.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
rice wine vinegar
round rice paper sheets
rice wine vinegar