Recipe by Daydream
Deliciously fresh and healthy, and served with a tangy cashew dipping sauce, or Hoisin sauce if you prefer, these Vietnamese shrimp rolls make a lovely appetiser.
Top Review by currybunny
This was truly outstanding! As I'm not a seafood person, I poached a small chicken breast, tore it into shreds and tossed it with the soy, sugar and rice vinegar. I then just laid everything out and we helped outselved to whatver combination we fancied! The red curry mayo is awesome to add a nice kick to the rolls. The cashew dipping sauce is the star of this recipe though; I made it the night before and couldn't stop eating it with a spoon! Totally addictive and wonderful. We loved it so much we ended up spooning it on the inside of our rolls before rolling, as you get more that way than through dipping! This is just so perfect for a hot Aussie night - thanks so much Daydream!
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup rice vermicelli
- 1⁄4 cup finely sliced green onion
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 8 ounces baby shrimp, cooked and diced
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup alfalfa sprout
- 1⁄2 cup finely shredded lettuce
- 12 round rice paper sheets
Red Curry Mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon water (optional)
Cashew Dipping Sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup cashews, unsalted
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons ginger, fresh,minced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 -3 teaspoon red pepper flakes, according to taste
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare all ingredients before assembling rolls.
- If using, combine the mayonnaise, Thai red curry paste, lime juice and water, mix well until thoroughly blended and refrigerate until needed.
- Cook the rice vermicelli according to the packet directions until al dente, rinse in cold water, drain well, and chop into 2 to 3 lengths.
- Soak the dried shiitake mushrooms in warm water for 30 minutes until reconstituted, then drain, reserving ¾ cup soaking liquid.
- Remove and dispense of stalks, and thinly slice caps.
- Cook shiitake in reserved liquid until mushrooms are tender and liquid evaporates.
- Season mushrooms with soy sauce and sugar, set aside and let cool.
- Add the rice wine vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste, to the green onions, mix well and set aside.
- Place all ingredients, including the shrimp, shredded carrot, cilantro, mint, alfalfa sprouts and lettuce in separate piles on your work surface.
- Fill a shallow casserole dish with warm water.
- Immerse rice wrappers, four at a time, into the water until pliable (about 45 seconds).
- Arrange wrappers on paper towelling to drain, but keep moist by placing a damp paper towel over each wrapper.
- Working one wrapper at a time, thinly spread some of the mayonnaise/red curry mixture (if using) with a knife over the lower 1/3rd of the rice wrapper.
- Top with thin layers of noodles, shrimp, mushrooms, green onions, carrot, cilantro, mint, alfalfa and lettuce.
- Roll the rice wrapper over once, tightly, from bottom, then fold in the two sides to completely enclose the filling.
- Continue folding the wrapper over until completely rolled.
- Place finished roll seam-side down on a serving plate, and cover with a damp paper towel to prevent spring rolls from becoming dry before serving.
- Slice each roll diagonally in half, to serve.
- Serve with a cashew dipping sauce or a diluted mixture of hoisin sauce and water.
- Cashew Dipping Sauce: Toast the cashew nuts on a cookie sheet in a 400-degree F oven until golden, then chop finely.
- Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring.
- Remove from heat, add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Add as much or as little dried red pepper flakes, according to your preference.
- Correct consistency with a little extra water if necessary.