Recipe by Chef DDE
Delicious and tasty Vietnamese Shaky Beef dish
Top Review by Ilovemy4kids
Within the space of 5 days, we made this recipe twice. It is that good. One thing I did that was done out of necessity was to use 4 tbsps of Kecap Manis instead of the 2 tbsps each of soy sauce and palm sugar. I also added a little sliced bird's eye chilli to add a little zing to the dish. Due to changes in plans, the beef ended up in the fridge for 4 days before they got cooked. Apparently, that was okay for we really, really enjoyed the dish. Thank you for posting.
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons chinese rice wine
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 750 g rump steak, cut into 1 inch cubes
Directions See How It's Made
- * Mix the garlic, soy sauce, sugar, rice wine, spring onion and pepper with half the oil in a large bowl and add the steak.
- * Mix well, cover and leave in the refrigerator overnight.
- * Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan, and when it is just beginning to smoke, put in the beef cubes, in one layer. Cook, without stirring, for about 1 minute - there should be a thin crust at the bottom.
- * Shake the pan vigorously to loosen the beef (use tongs or chopsticks if you need to) and continue to cook, shaking the pan every so often, until the beef is cooked to your taste.
- * Allow 4 minutes for medium-done beef.
- * Serve with the Lime and Ginger sauce, rice and Chinese leaf salad.