Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A recipe from Notebook magazine- easy and tasty. Easily made gluten-free provided the curry powder and fish sauce used are gluten-free too
- 8 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, halved lengthways, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 2 stalks lemongrass, white part only, finely chopped
- 2 small red chilies, seeded, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons mild indian curry powder (gluten-free if required for diet)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (gluten-free if required for diet)
- 750 g firm-fleshed white boneless fish fillets, cut into 6cm pieces
- 750 g medium green king prawns, peeled, deveined, leaving tails intact
- 300 g sugar snap peas, trimmed or 300 g snow peas
- 1⁄2 cup Thai basil (use regular basil if Thai basil not available)
- steamed jasmine rice and lime wedge, to serve
- Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic, shallots and carrot and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until soft.
- Add lemongrass, chillies and curry powder and cook for 3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add coconut milk, 1 cup water and fish sauce to the pan and bring to a simmer.
- Add fish and simmer gently, partially covered, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in prawns and peas and simmer gently, partially covered, for 2 minutes or until seafood is tender.
- Serve scattered with basil leaves, with steamed rice and lime wedges.
I liked this. Of all the Asian cuisines, I am most unfamiliar with Vietnamese food. This turned out to be a nice change of pace from the usual Thai, Japanese, and Korean food I make. The flavor wasn't as strong as I expected, so I added more fish sauce. I also would've liked to have used more lemongrass, or tossed in some kafir lime leaves near the end. Overall, quite good- thanks for sharing! [Made and reviewed for BEST OF 2012]
This was delicious, and I will make it again! I didn't know what to expect because I've never used curry powder before ~ I sorta winged the lemongrass amount, because my lemongrass came in a tube! I left out the fish, and made it with shrimp only, and added some water chestnuts. I loved the finish with the lime juice and basil ~ Tagged for Auzzie Recipe Swap #71.- December 2012.