Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
Crunchy vegetables pair with hoisin-seasoned chicken in this refreshing appetizer. You can make the sauce and chicken mixture a few hours ahead, but assemble the rolls just before serving so they don't dry out.
- 118.29 ml seasoned rice vinegar
- 59.14 ml honey
- 1.23 ml salt
- 78.07 ml finely chopped roasted peanuts
- 14.79 ml peanut oil
- 19.71 ml minced peeled fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 453.59 g boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 78.07 ml hoisin sauce
- 4.92 ml hot chili sauce (such as Sriracha)
- 12 (96 inch) round sheets rice paper
- 709.77 ml thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- 36 slice julienne-cut seeded peeled cucumbers (2 inch strips)
- 36 slice julienne-cut red bell peppers (2 inch strips)
- 36 mint leaves
- To prepare sauce, combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring until honey dissolves. Stir in peanuts.
- To prepare rolls, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ginger, garlic, and chicken; sauté 5 minutes. Combine chicken mixture, hoisin sauce, and chile sauce; chill.
- Add hot water to a large, shallow dish to a depth of 1 inch. Place 1 rice paper sheet in dish. Let stand 30 seconds or just until soft. Place sheet on a flat surface. Arrange 1/4 cup lettuce over half of sheet, leaving a 1-inch border. Top lettuce with 1/4 cup chicken mixture, 3 cucumber strips, 3 bell pepper strips, and 3 mint leaves. Folding sides of sheet over filling and starting with filled side, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Gently press seam to seal. Place roll, seam side down, on a serving platter (cover to keep from drying).
- Repeat procedure with remaining sheets, lettuce, chicken mixture, cucumber strips, bell pepper strips, and mint leaves. Slice each roll in half diagonally. Serve rolls with sauce.
The family loved these! I had some trouble rolling but I'm sure that will improve with practice. I did have to use 2 sheets of rice paper for each as they kept splitting - maybe that's just me! We used our own sauces so I'm reviewing just the rolls.
Sauce and chicken mixture can be made a few hours ahead leaving assembly until just before serving.
I love these. They make a really nice light meal. I added some grated carrot to make these even healthier and more flavourful. I did not have any chicken so I substituted imitation crab meat and only used a half pound but I kept the amount of hoisin sauce the same. I did not have all the ingredients to make the sauce so I skipped it. These are not difficult to make and can be made ahead. I served these with sushi. Thanks for the recipe.