Recipe by LMillerRN
Crunchy vegetables pair with hoisin-seasoned chicken in this refreshing appetizer. You can make the sauce and chicken mixture a few hours ahead, but assemble the rolls just before serving so they don't dry out.
Top Review by Elisa72
The family loved these! I had some trouble rolling but I'm sure that will improve with practice. I did have to use 2 sheets of rice paper for each as they kept splitting - maybe that's just me! We used our own sauces so I'm reviewing just the rolls.
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped roasted peanuts
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 4 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1⁄3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot chili sauce (such as Sriracha)
- 12 (8 inch) round sheets rice paper
- 3 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- 36 slices julienne-cut seeded peeled cucumbers (2 inch strips)
- 36 slices julienne-cut red bell peppers (2 inch strips)
- 36 mint leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare sauce, combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring until honey dissolves. Stir in peanuts.
- To prepare rolls, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ginger, garlic, and chicken; sauté 5 minutes. Combine chicken mixture, hoisin sauce, and chile sauce; chill.
- Add hot water to a large, shallow dish to a depth of 1 inch. Place 1 rice paper sheet in dish. Let stand 30 seconds or just until soft. Place sheet on a flat surface. Arrange 1/4 cup lettuce over half of sheet, leaving a 1-inch border. Top lettuce with 1/4 cup chicken mixture, 3 cucumber strips, 3 bell pepper strips, and 3 mint leaves. Folding sides of sheet over filling and starting with filled side, roll up jelly-roll fashion. Gently press seam to seal. Place roll, seam side down, on a serving platter (cover to keep from drying).
- Repeat procedure with remaining sheets, lettuce, chicken mixture, cucumber strips, bell pepper strips, and mint leaves. Slice each roll in half diagonally. Serve rolls with sauce.