Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
Super quick and easy to make, and very tasty! Recipe calls for shrimp but you could use any assortment of meats and veggies. Butter lettuce, cilantro, shredded carrot, ground pork, strips of bbq pork or duck, etc., make good additions (don't forget to cook the meat first).Taken from "The Essential Rice Cookbook" published by Borders.
- 100 g dried rice vermicelli (3 1/2 oz)
- 20 rice paper, wrappers (16 cm, 6 1/2 inch round wrappers)
- 40 mint leaves
- 20 cooked shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cut in half lengthwise
- 10 garlic chives
- 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce (use sweet chilli sauce)
- 1 small red chili, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped roasted peanuts
- Bring water to a boil, remove from heat, soak vermicelli for 15 minutes.
- Cut each garlic chive in half.
- Dip one rice paper wrapper at a time into a bowl of lukewarm water and allow to soak for 30 seconds.
- Lay paper flat on a plate. Place some vermicelli in a short line on the middle of the paper. Top with two halves of shrimp and two mint leaves.
- Fold the ends, place a half garlic chive lengthwise along the top, then fold the sides so that the garlic chives are held in place.
- Eat immediately, or cover with a damp towel to keep from drying out.
- Combine hoisin sauce, soy sauce, chilli sauce, chopped chilli, and chopped peanuts and use as a dipping sauce.