Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
Recipe source: Sticks & Skewers
- 2 1⁄2 cups ground pork
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 stalks lemongrass, sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 red chilies, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
for the nuoc cham
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 lime, seeded and chopped (peel included)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1⁄2 cup peanuts, chopped
- 1 bunch rice sticks
- 16 -20 lettuce leaves
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 bunch fresh basil, leaves only
- 1 bunch of fresh mint, leaves only
- Soak 12-16 wooden skewers or chopsticks in water for 30 minutes before using.
- In a food processor combine the first 8 ingredients (pork - egg), processing until a paste is formed. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Take 1-2 tablespoons of mixture and using wet hands form into a ball; repeat until all the mixture is used. Press soaked skewer through the middle of each ball and thread 2-3 balls onto each stick. Pat until snug and chill.
- To make the Nuoc Cham, in a spice mill or motor and pestle combine the next 3 ingredients (garlic - sugar). Add the chopped lime and any lime juice that has been collected, puree again and then stir in fish sauce and 1/2 cup water. Set aside.
- Toast the peanuts in a dry skillet and then crush coarsely and set aside.
- Soak noodles in hot water for 15 minutes and then boil for 1 minute. Drain and set aside.
- Light a grill or preheat broiler and grill balls until cooked through.
- Serve pork balls, sprinkled with the nuts and with a salad made of lettuce, mint and basil.
- To eat, remove from sticks, wrap in lettuce, add carrots, noodles, peanuts and herbs, roll up and dip in the Nuco Cham.