Prep 40 mins
Cook 6 mins
Takes a bit of prep time chopping all the ingredients but totally healthy & delicious as an appie or Friday Finger Foods. Adapted from Cooking Light magazine.
- 1 (16 ounce) package low-fat tofu, extra-firm drained
- 1⁄2 cup lime juice, fresh squeezed
- 1⁄2 cup honey, organic
- 1⁄4 cup lemongrass, peeled & thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or 2 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- cooking spray
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 12 slices carrots, julienne-cut
- 12 slices red peppers, julienne-cut
- 12 green beans
- 12 basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf, chopped
- 36 small mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons dry roasted peanuts, chopped
- Cut tofu crosswise into 12 (1/2-inch) slices.
- Place tofu slices on several layers of heavy-duty paper towels. Cover tofu with additional paper towels. Place a cutting board on top of tofu; place something heavy on top of cutting board. Let stand 30 minutes to 1 hour. (Tofu is ready when a slice bends easily without tearing or crumbling.)
- Arrange tofu in a single layer in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Combine juice and the next 6 ingredients (juice through garlic) in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring until honey dissolves. Pour over tofu. Cover and let stand at room temperature 1 hour.
- Prepare grill.
- Remove tofu from dish, and reserve marinade. Coat tofu with cooking spray. Place tofu on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Remove 12 large outer leaves from lettuce head; reserve remaining lettuce for another use. Remove bottom half of each lettuce leaf; reserve for another use.
- Place 1 tofu slice on each lettuce leaf top. Top each leaf top with 2 teaspoons cilantro, 3/4 teaspoon peanuts, 3 mint leaves, 1 carrot strips, 1 pepper strip, 1 green bean and 1 basil leaf. Wrap leaf around toppings. Serve with reserved marinade.