Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A warm weather favorite in Vietnamese restaurants. Very cooling!
For the Shrimp
- 6 ounces shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 cups onions, cut into slivers
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
For the Salad
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 1⁄2 cups bean sprouts
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, sprigs
- 1⁄2 cup basil sprig
- 4 tablespoons chopped peanuts
- 8 ounces rice vermicelli
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup nuoc nam (Nuoc Cham (Vietnamese Spicy Fish Sauce))
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot; stir in vermicelli.
- Cook until just tender and drain in colander.
- Flatten lemongrass with cleaver and mince white part; discard rest.
- Heat oil in wok; add garlic, lemongrass, and red pepper flakes.
- Cook until lemongrass is slightly wilted.
- Add onions and stir-fry until onions are tender.
- Mix fish sauce with sugar and add to wok with shrimp; stir-fry 3-4 minutes more or until shrimp is cooked.
- For each salad place 1 cup of lettuce in bottom of bowl.
- Top with 3/4 cup of bean sprouts.
- Place half the cooked noodles over vegetables in bowl.
- Top noodles with lemongrass shrimp and onions.
- Garnish with peanuts.
- Serve with a plate of cilantro sprigs and basil sprigs.
- Also serve a bowl of Nuoc Mam, recipe#25375, about 1/2-3/4 cup per salad.
- Place"Tuong Ot Sriracha" (Viet hot sauce) or sambal oeleck on the table as condiments.