Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from rasamalaysia.com. It's a food/recipe blog I stumbled upon and it's great food porn. He states in the recipe that this is not exactly authentic but delicious nonetheless. I tried it tonight in bun(Vietnamese cold noodle salad) and it was soooo good! Would be so good on just plain steamed white rice too!
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless cubed skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 fresh lemongrass, stalks tender inner white bulbs only, minced
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 chilies, seeded and minced
- 1 scallion, for garnishing
- In a bowl, combine the fish sauce, garlic, curry powder, salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the sugar. Add the chicken meat to coat. Marinade for 1/2 hour to a hour.
- In a small skillet, mix the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar with 1 tablespoon of the water and cook over high heat, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Cook without stirring until a deep amber caramel forms. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of water. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat a wok over high heat. Add the oil and heat until shimmering. Add the lemongrass, shallot, and chilies and stir-fry until fragrant. Add the chicken and caramel and stir-fry until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is slightly thickened. Transfer to a bowl and top with the scallion. Serve with steamed white rice.