Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe was posted on the box of rice noodles, and I'm posting here so I don't lose it. It's slightly modified for our taste.
- 4 ounces rice noodles, cooked, rinsed and drained as directed on package
- 5 cups chicken broth or 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 stalks lemongrass, crushed and thinly sliced diagonally (use only bottom third to half of the stalk)
- 1 cup shiitake mushroom, sliced (or button mushrooms)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb medium shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (or slightly more to taste)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 cup fresh bean sprout, trimmed and rinsed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 fresh jalapeno chilies, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, roughly chopped
- In a large pot, bring broth, lemongrass, mushrooms, and onion to a boil.
- Add shrimp, fish sauce and lime juice to the pot.
- Cook until shrimp is opaque (1 - 2 minutes).
- Add rice noodles and heat another minute.
- Serve in soup bowls with garnishes as desired.
This was delicious. I modified it as we are vegetarian. Shrimp became tofu and we used vegetarian fish sauce (available at SE Asian markets). Also, I used the peppers that are used in Vietnam ... small, red, cayenne peppers.
Well, I'm sure that I managed to take the 'hot' out of this soup, but really needed to cut back on the amount of jalapenos used to just a little more than half of one! Other than that, though, I did follow the recipe & we very much enjoyed this soup! [Made & reviewed in the ZWT6 Family Picks]
Delicious soup! I had never worked with lemongrass before; very enjoyable in this. I used all of the garnishes, and we thought all of them really added a great dimension to the soup. Thanks for sharing!