Recipe by PanNan
This recipe was posted on the box of rice noodles, and I'm posting here so I don't lose it. It's slightly modified for our taste.
Top Review by Mohamjip
This was delicious. I modified it as we are vegetarian. Shrimp became tofu and we used vegetarian fish sauce (available at SE Asian markets). Also, I used the peppers that are used in Vietnam ... small, red, cayenne peppers.
- 4 ounces rice noodles, cooked, rinsed and drained as directed on package
- 5 cups chicken broth or 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 stalks lemongrass, crushed and thinly sliced diagonally (use only bottom third to half of the stalk)
- 1 cup shiitake mushroom, sliced (or button mushrooms)
- 1⁄2 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb medium shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (or slightly more to taste)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 cup fresh bean sprout, trimmed and rinsed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 fresh jalapeno chilies, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, roughly chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, bring broth, lemongrass, mushrooms, and onion to a boil.
- Add shrimp, fish sauce and lime juice to the pot.
- Cook until shrimp is opaque (1 - 2 minutes).
- Add rice noodles and heat another minute.
- Serve in soup bowls with garnishes as desired.