Prep 35 mins
Cook 5 mins
The dipping sauce is the key to this tasty exotic dish, which has a North Vietnamese style.
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- wooden skewer
For the Marinade
- 1 small onion, minced,rinced under cold water,and drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 -2 dash fish sauce
For the Dipping Sauce
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- Mix the onion, garlic, oil, and fish sauce in a bowl large enough to hold the shrimp.
- Add the shrimp, toss to coat evenly, and marinate, covered, at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Soak the wooden skewers in water for 20-30 minutes.
- Prepare grill or preheat broiler.
- To prepare the dip, mix together the lime juice, pepper, salt, fish sauce, and sugar, in a small bowl, mixing well; adjust seasonings to taste (add a little water or sugar if dip seems too tart).
- Thread shrimp onto wooden skewers; lightly coat each finished skewer with oil or cooking spray, and place on grill over medium coals or heat (or place on pan under broiler), and cook approximately 5 minutes, turning once, or until shrimps are pink, firm, and slightly charred in spots.
- Serve shrimp with the dipping sauce.
- A good accompaniment would be steamed rice, or an Asian noodle dish.
Restaurant quality recipe!! The marinade flavors the shrimp and once they are grilled, the dipping sauce compliments the shrimp. Made this for just myself and ate the whole thing. Next time will make to impress company since it is an easy recipe to do.