These are so good! The sauce that accompanies them is a must (Vietnamese Dipping Sauce (Nuoc Cham)). Sugar cane is usually in the produce section of my grocery store and it is also sold in the Asian section in cans. Wonderful served on a bed of rice and drenched in the Dipping Sauce! Recipe adapted from grill master, Steven Raichlen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 44.37 ml sugar
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 59.14 ml asian fish sauce
- 44.37 ml fresh lime juice
- 4.92 ml fresh ground pepper
- 3 stalk fresh lemongrass, tender inner white bulbs only, thinly sliced crosswise
- 59.14 ml vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
- 24 large shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 12 sugar cane swizzle sticks
- 73.94 ml chopped peanuts
- 44.37 ml coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1Using a food processor, puree garlic, sugar, shallots, fish sauce, lime juice and pepper. Add lemongrass and the 1/4 cup of oil; process to a puree. Place shrimp in a large shallow container with lid and pour marinade over shrimp to cover. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 1/2 hours.
- 2Light a grill.
- 3Cut each sugarcane stick in half on a sharp diagonal so each piece has a sharp point. Scrape off marinade. Make a slit near the shrimp's tail and one near the head with a sharp knife. Thread a sugarcane stick through the slits; the shrimp should lie flat.
- 4Grill the shrimp over a hot fire, brushing them once or twice with oil, until lightly charred and just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
- 5Place shrimp on a serving platter and sprinkle with peanuts and cilantro.
- 6Serve the shrimp with the Vietnamese Dipping Sauce.
Browse Our Top Vietnamese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vietnamese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vietnamese Grilled Jumbo Shrimp on Sugarcane Sticks
Serving Size: 1 (118 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.2
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 64.3 mg
- Sodium 1175.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 11.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sugar cane swizzle sticks