This is one of my favorite dishes at a local Vietnamese restaurant. I searched around the internet for the recipe and this is what a came up with. I just made this tonight and am quite surprised how close it taste to the restaurant version. It is normally made in a clay pot but a 2-quart saucepan will suffice. Beware, fish sauce is a very pungent ingredient.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a heavy 2-quart saucepan, cook the sugar over low to medium heat, swirling the pan constantly, until brown and caramelized.
- 2Remove pan from heat and stir the fish sauce into the caramel.
- 3It will smoke slightly.
- 4Return the pan to low heat and gently boil for about couple minutes while stirring until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- 5Stir in the shallots, chili and ginger.
- 6Add the fish in the caramel sauce and sprinkle with black pepper.
- 7Bring to a boil.
- 8Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan.
- 9Simmer for 30-45 minutes, turning the fish occasionally and carefully.
- 10Serve with rice.
Browse Our Top Catfish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Catfish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vietnamese Fish Simmered in Caramel Sauce (Ca Kho To)
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 375.1
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 124.6 mg
- Sodium 225.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 22.2 g
- Protein 35.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: