Recipe by That is Dr House to you
From Fareshare Gazette www.fareshare.net 2003 A recipe mailing list I belong to. The recipe is attributed to Vietworldkitchen.com and Andrea Nguyen
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 4 tablespoons thick coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- corn oil (for deep frying)
- 1 tablespoon vietnamese chili-garlic sauce or 1 tablespoon sriracha hot chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place corn in a chopper and pulse 10 to 12 times. Remember to scrape down the sides midway with silcon spatula. You should be able to pinch together between fingers.
- Mix in a bowl with other ingredients for fritter except oil.
- Dipping sauce:
- In a small bowl mix the sauce ingredients and dissolve the sugar. Taste and add more sugar and/or water to decrease heat of sauce.
- Set aside.
- Use a wok or heavy skillet. Pour oil in to one inch depth. Heat the oil to 350F on a deep fry thermometer. Test if needed by dropping in a bit of batter. It should immediately cause bubbling and float to the top in 5 seconds.
- When ready drop by tsp of batter into oil. They will sink, be surrounded by bubbles and rise to the top within seconds. You may put as many as you like in without crowding the surface once they float. They should become golden brown. Turn once. Use paper towels to blot gently and let drain on towels. If they deflate? You pulled them too soon. Add more time. You want them to hold the shape and be slightly crispy. Watch your temp it needs to stay at 350F.
- Serve with sauce.
- Use fresh sweet corn if possible. If it is not in season use frozen.
- Note for those interested in removing egg, it won't work with powdered subs. The egg is to hold it together. Untried with tofu as sub for egg. Use at own risk.