Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A great first course to any Vietnamese Dinner. Fast and easy to make.
- 8 ounces rice noodles (mai fun)
- 2 lbs cooked small shrimp
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup snipped chives or 1 cup green onion
- 1 cup snipped fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh hot chili pepper
- 1 cup fish sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 4 fresh red chilies, seeded
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- (Nuoc Cham: puree these 5 ingredients to smooth. Will keep up to 2 weeks in the fridge.) Cook rice sticks according to package directions.
- Drain well and rinse in cold water.
- Drain well.
- Place on a large serving platter surrounded by remaining ingredients in small bowls.
I have been cooking this for years and would urge people to try it, although not with the half cup of chili peppers unless they're into self torture. Start the chili slowly one pepper at a time or use dried pepper flakes since they are more controllable
For the very first time I made this dish, this is the recipe I used. <br/><br/>Subsequently I tried looking for a different recipe but kept coming back to this one because it's probably the easiest. <br/><br/>I have made this three times now, and my family has fallen into this home-made version.<br/><br/>I don't use as much shrimps nor chili as the recipe calls for, but the flavor is still very good. <br/><br/>For it's simplicity both in the making and the flavoring and presentation, this has become a regular potluck dish for us.<br/><br/>Give it a try and enjoy!