Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a delicious and well known Vietnamese dish which you can prepare in your own home. Many traditional Vietnamese recipes are prepared in a clay pot, which is first soaked in water before being placed in a cold oven. As the pot heats up in the oven, tiny water particles are released, causing a pressure-steaming effect to cook the food. The result? Intensified flavour and tenderness, retention of nutrients and vitamins, and a wonderful aroma when the lid is removed. If using your clay pot for the first time, submerge it and the lid overnight in cold water, then proceed with the recipe. Thereafter the pot and lid need only be soaked for 15 minutes prior to using. It is important to use an unglazed clay pot, not a terra cotta baking pot with glazed interior and unglazed exterior. When removing the hot clay pot from the oven, always set it on a cloth pad or towel rather than a cold surface, or the sudden change in temperature may crack the pot. Preparation time for this recipe does not include soaking the pot or the time needed to marinate the chicken.
- 907.18 g chicken thigh fillets, halved
- 2 small yellow onions, quartered
- 340.19 g baby bok choy, chopped coarsely
- 118.29 ml chicken stock
- 113.39 g fresh shiitake mushrooms, halved (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 14.79 ml vietnamese fish sauce, plus
- 4.92 ml vietnamese fish sauce
- 14.79 ml soy sauce, plus
- 4.92 ml soy sauce
- 14.79 ml hoisin sauce, plus
- 4.92 ml hoisin sauce
- 29.58 ml lime juice, plus
- 9.85 ml lime juice
- 29.58 ml finely chopped fresh lemongrass (white part only)
- Remove the skin from the chicken.
- Mix all marinade ingredients together in a large bowl, add the chicken pieces and stir gently.
- Cover and place in the fridge for at least three hours, but not more than 24 hours.
- Place chicken, marinade, quartered onions, bok choy and chicken stock into the soaked clay pot, and mix gently.
- Cover and place the clay pot into a cold oven.
- Turn oven temperature to 360F - 375F (moderate heat).
- Bake for 1 hour or until chicken is tender.
- If using shiitake mushrooms, add 15 minutes before the end of cooking time.
Didn't have a claypot so I cooked it in my LeCrueset. Delicious!
Delicious. I forgot about putting in the shiitake mushrooms with 20 mts to do and added them with all the other ingredients. I also added some minced up ginger. They ('shrooms)absorbed the sauce and were wonderful. I also cooked it in the clay pot for 1 hour at 425 degrees and then removed the lid for another 10 mts. I left the skin on the thighs. Who doesn't love crispy chicken skin. Finally I garnished it with chopped up cilantro. I'll do this one on a regular basis