Recipe by afr0bunny
this is a fantastic chicken recipe - great for grilling out on a summer night - these make great appetizers as well - you can wrap a stick in a lettuce leaf, top with garnishes, and hold it together it a toothpick, just make sure to put plenty of dipping sauce bowls around!
Top Review by Tabba
YUM! I love the vietnamese egg rolls at my local pho place so decided to give these a try. They're super easy to make and a great low fat option to still get my fix with out the extra calories. . .and honestly, I didn't miss the fried component at all. I broiled them as I didn't have access to a grill and I added a 1/3 cup water to the dipping sauce and couldn't tell. Also, I picked up some pickled daikon and carrot at my local asian market to go along with the cucumber slices, cilantro and mint leaves. . .SO GOOD! Thanks for posting.
- 4 scallions, white part only,chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot chili oil (or veg oil and a generous pinch red pepper flakes)
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs ground chicken
for dipping sauce
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minuced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot chili-garlic sauce
- rough chopped peanuts or scallions or fresh herb (cilantro, basil, mint)
- lettuce leaf, for wrapping
Directions See How It's Made
- whisk together all first 9 ingredients.
- add in ground chicken and mix together*gently*.
- shape the meat into sticks (should look like 3 inch long cylinders, should take 2-3 tbsp of chicken mixture per stick).
- cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hrs.
- whisk together dipping sauce ingredients and set aside.
- light your grill.
- grill sticks over medium heat, turning to prevent burn, until cooked through.