Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
A recipe from the Epicurious site. My dh loves this recipe. Great for company too.
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh red chile
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) whole chickens
- 1 (2 lb) green cabbage
- 1⁄2 lb carrot
- 1 tablespoon sugar
For dressing and topping
- 1⁄3 cup asian fish sauce
- 1⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh red chile (preferably Thai or cayenne)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2⁄3 cup coarsely chopped dry roasted salted peanut
- 1⁄2 cup packed torn basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup packed torn mint leaf
- Make chicken and vegetables for salad: Stir together lime juice, garlic, ginger, chiles, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, then rub all over chicken, inside and out. Marinate, covered, at room temperature while cooking vegetables.
- Thinly slice cabbage with slicer. Cut carrots into thin matchsticks (1/8 inch) with a knife. Cook vegetables in a large pot of salted boiling water (2 tablespoons salt for 6 quarts water) until crisp-tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a large sieve or colander with a slotted spoon (return water to a boil) and rinse under cold water to stop cooking. Drain well.
- Add sugar to boiling water, then add chicken with marinade and cook, covered, 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let chicken stand in cooking liquid, covered, 30 minutes. Carefully transfer chicken with tongs to a cutting board and let stand until cool enough to handle. Coarsely shred meat (and skin if desired), transferring to a large bowl.
- Make dressing while chicken cools:
- Bring fish sauce and brown sugar to a simmer in a small saucepan, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Blend mixture in a blender along with chiles, ginger, and garlic (use caution when blending hot liquids). Stir in lime juice.
- Assemble salad:
- Toss vegetables with half of dressing and chicken with remainder. Serve chicken over vegetables and sprinkle with peanuts, basil, and mint. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- Cooks' notes:
- •Chicken can be marinated up to 1 hour.
- •Chicken and vegetables can be cooked 1 day ahead. Chill separately (covered once cool).
- •Dressing can be made 1 day ahead and chilled in an airtight container.