Recipe by awalde
This is a basic dish that needs some preparation of the ingredients, but it is quickly prepared. In Vietnam this is served with a choice of greens, rice paper sheets, fresh mint and don't forget the dipping sauce (nuoc cham). Note: I served this with the ingredients I had on hand. Suggestions for the nuoc cham: Vietnamese Dipping Sauce--Vegan Nuoc Cham Alternative and Nuoc Cham (Vietnamese Dipping Sauce). (Recipe revised after review of JustJans)
Top Review by JustJanS
I can see that this worked for awalde by her photo, but it didn't work for us! The batter was really thick and although I put half in each time ( I think the recipe meant me to put it all in at once) it still resulted in a thick cakey pancake nothing like the lovely light, lacy ones we had in Vietnam recently. To make matters worse, the pancakes just fell to bits when I tried to remove them from the pan.Maybe it was my coconut milk or rice flour?
- 1 cup rice flour (regular white rice flour, not glutinous rice flour)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk (alternative beer or water)
- 1 tablespoon green onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 5 ounces chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 5 ounces shrimp, peeled and cleaned
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup split green beans, soaked and steamed until soft
- some lettuce leaf (or other salad)
- 1 cup cucumber, slices
- 1 spring fresh mint leaves
- 10 sheets vietnamese rice paper, sprinkled with water to soften
- 1⁄2 cup pickled carrots or 1⁄2 cup fresh carrot, sliced
- 2 tablespoons nuoc cham sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine rice flour, turmeric, water, salt, pepper and coconut milk.
- Mix well into a batter.
- Add green onions.
- Heat your wide skillet (non sticky pan) until very hot and add the oil.
- Now add chicken, shrimps, onion and garlic.
- Sauté for 3 minutes until meat is just done. Set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Place one quarter of the meat mix into the skillet and poor one quarter of batter on it.
- After 1-2 minutes add one quarter of bean sprouts and green beans.
- Cover and cook 5 more minutes until set.
- Fold pancake and cook about 5 minutes until crisp. Don't burn it.
- Transfer to plate and serve with garnish and dipping sauce. Repeat with the other portions.
- Use rice paper sheets to assemble, dip and enjoy.