Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup sliced shallot
- 1⁄4 cup minced peeled fresh ginger
- 5 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (15 3/4 ounce) cans fat free chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1⁄4 lb uncooked rice sticks
- 1 cup fresh bean sprout
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced of fresh mint
- 4 lime wedges
- chopped hot red chili peppers or Thai chile
- fish sauce
- chili oil
- In a large pot, combine the first 9 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat and simmer 15 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken from pan; cool slightly; cut into bite-size pieces.
- Cook rice sticks in boiling water for 5 minutes; drain.
- Divide chicken and noodles evenly among 4 large bowls.
- Ladle 2 cups soup into each bowl.
- Top each serving with ¼ cup sprouts, 1 ½ teaspoons each of onions, cilantro, basil, and mint.
- Serve with lime wedges; garnish with chopped chile, fish sauce, or chili oil.
This is what I crave when I don't feel well. This soup tastes very similar to what I order from the restaurant. At first the ginger seemed strong, but it mellowed out once all the other stuff got in there.