Recipe by Jean R
Vietnamese style curries are lucious. You can serve this with steamed rice or over asian rice noodles. From Pleasures of the Vietnamese Table.
Top Review by Jackie J.
Absolutely wonderful recipe. I fell in love with this dish when I had it at a Vietnamese restaurant. This recipe gets the flavor just right. Only issue is how to remove the three chunks of ginger. It forgets about the three pieces cut from the 1" of ginger.
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon shallot, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried red chili pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 lemongrass, stalks
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup asian basil leaves
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 scallions, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 2 tablespoons of the curry powder and the salt in a medium bowl. Add the chicken thighs and turn to coat the meat evenly. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Cut the lemongrass stalk into 3-inch pieces and smash them with the flat side of a knife, set aside. Peel the ginger and cut into 3 slices, set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the shallot, garlic, dried red chili flakes and the remaining 1 tablespoon of curry powder; stir for about 10 seconds.
- Add the chicken and cook until golden, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce, sugar, lemongrass, ginger and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat.
- Add the carrots and cook for 10 minutes. Add the coconut milk, onion and sweet potato and cook for 15 minutes or until vegetable are tender.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and top with garnishes.