Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Mildy spicy Asian curry dish - full of flavor!
- 8 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin removed
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 -4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 large onion, large dice
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 -4 stalks lemongrass, cut into large pieces and bruised
- 2 inches piece ginger, sliced
- 3 tablespoons curry powder (Vietnamese or Madras style)
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 (13 1/2 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup peas (optional)
- basil or Thai basil, to garnish
- Start by searing chicken thighs in a frying pan. Add to Crock Pot.
- Add potatoes, carrots, peppers, onion, garlic, ginger, and lemongrass and bay leaves on top of chicken.
- In a bowl, combine coconut milk (shake well), curry powder, and fish sauce. Add more or less curry to taste.
- Pour coconut milk mixture over chicken and vegetables, tucking spice ingredients down into the mixture.
- Add chicken broth until vegetables are almost, but not quite covered by the liquid. May use more or less than the 2 cups called for.
- Cook 6-8 hours on low, or 4-5 hours on high, or until chicken and vegetables are tender.
- Add peas at the end, when ready to serve. They add a nice color.
- Serve over rice. Jasmine or Basmati are nice, or use your favorite kind. May also be served with crusty french bread!
- Garnish with basil. Enjoy!