Recipe by Sueie
Vietnamese curry is not as heat intensive as Indian or Thai, but is more aromatic and subtle. Do not omit basil, this really does make the difference. Have also substituted skim evaporated milk with a few drops of coconut essence instead of coconut milk. Traditionally served with rice vermicelli.
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into chunks
- oil (for frying)
- 6 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 stalks lemongrass, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red chilies, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons curry powder
- 450 g chicken breasts, cut into bit-sized pieces
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 300 ml coconut milk
- 600 ml chicken stock
- finely shredded basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Shallow fry potato until light browned.
- Drain and set aside.
- Heat a little oil in a pan and saute shallots with lemon grass, garlic and chillies until soft.
- Add curry powder and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add potatoes, salt, coconut milk and chicken stock, bring boil, then cover and simmer gently for about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with basil leaves.