1/1 Photo of Vietnamese Caramelized Salty Pork ( Thit Kho)
This dish is very fatty and a little salty, but is so delicious and easy to make. You just have to make sure that you have the ingredients ready to begin the cooking. Adding shrimp to this recipe makes an unbelievably tasty surprise. One of my all time favorites.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash and cut pork belly into 3/4 inch (cubed)pieces.
- 2In a dry saucepan, melt sugar on high heat until it becomes golden brown but not candied.
- 3Immediately, add pork belly pieces, onions, pepper, and garlic. Stir to get a golden color on the meat.
- 4Add fish sauce and water, deglaze, and bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce to low heat, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes (stirring occasionally) until sauce thickens a little. Add a little more fish sauce and black pepper to taste.
- 6Serve over white rice.
- 7Note: Some vietnamese add whole hard boiled eggs (better if you fry the hard boiled eggs in a little oil until golden brown skin) along with the liquids. Adding shrimp is also delicious.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vietnamese Caramelized Salty Pork ( Thit Kho)
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 999.3
- Calories from Fat 813
- Total Fat 90.3 g
- Saturated Fat 32.9 g
- Cholesterol 122.6 mg
- Sodium 1471.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 26.7 g
- Protein 17.2 g