Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe, which is pretty easy, is from a cookbook titled Into the Vietnamese Kitchen. I may have adapted the recipe a bit I don't remember, but this recipe is very delicious and her cookbook quite good.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 3⁄4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks, partly frozen
- 1 cauliflower
- 6 -8 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 onion, sliced into half rounds
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- salt, as needed
- ground black pepper, as needed
- In a large mixing bowl put the 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce and fish sauce.
- Stir to blend.
- Take the flank steak and cut across the grain into thin strips.
- Add to the marinade in the mixing bowl and let it marinate while you work on the rest of the recipe, stirring occasionally.
- Wash the cauliflower and cut into small florets.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil.
- Add the cauliflower and once the water starts boiling again, boil for one minute.
- Drain immediately and set the cauliflower aside.
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan over high heat and then add 4 Table. oil.
- Once the oil has had a minute to warm, add the onion.
- Stir-fry until the onion has cooked to a light brown color.
- Add the garlic and stir-fry just until the garlic starts to brown on the edges.
- Remove the onion and garlic into a medium-size bowl, leaving the remaining oil in the frying pan.
- Add half the beef to the fryng pan and cook just until the pink disappears, using a spachula to flip over the meat.
- Add the meat to the bowl with the onion and garlic.
- If necessary, add a little more oil to the frying pan, add the rest of the beef and cook it like you did the first batch.
- Remove the second batch of meat from the frying pan.
- Put 1-2 Table. of oil in the frying pan.
- Heat until hot.
- Add the cauliflower and stir-fry until the cauliflower has some brown spots.
- The heat needs to be high for this.
- Add a little salt and black pepper.
- Turn off heat and readd the meat and onions back into the frying pan and mix with the cauliflower.
- Check for salt and pepper.
- This recipe should have a generous amount of ground black pepper.
- Good served with plain rice.
Don't quite know exactly what was lacking, but it was just a so-so dish for us. Thank you for sharing.