1/2 Photos of Vietnamese Beef Stew (Bo' Kho)
2 hrs 30 mins
My mom and dad make this dish in the winter a lot. Every time they do, the whole house smells wonderful. One time my mom came to visit me in boarding school in England. She cooked one pot, I ate for a whole week and got on the black list of all Asians in school. It taste good steaming hot with French bread, and also very good in sandwiches. Some ingredients are available at normal grocery stores. You can get star anise and Thai Basil at Asian stores, natural food stores
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck, cut into 1.5 inch cube (weigh after trimming)
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 2 inch pieces and bruised
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes or 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb carrot, peeled,cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 star anise
- 3 cups water
- Thai basil (optional)
- cilantro (optional)
- 1Mix lemongrass, fish sauce, 5-spice powder, ginger, brown sugar and bay leaf, marinate the beef for 30 minutes.
- 2Over high heat, heat oil in a heavy-bottemed 5-quart pot, sear the beef quickly then remove, reserve lemongrass and bay leaf for later use.
- 3Reduce heat to medium, cook onions till translucent (5 minutes), then add tomato and cook with lid on for another 12-15 minutes.
- 4If sauce is too thick, add a bit of water.
- 5Add back the beef, lemongrass, bay leaf and star anise, cook uncovered for 5 minutes then add water.
- 6Bring pot to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- 7Add carrots and simmer for another 45 minutes until beef and carrots are tender.
- 8Remove bay leaf, lemongrass and star anise before serving with cilantro and Thai basil.
- 9Taste great with steam rice or French bread.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vietnamese Beef Stew (Bo' Kho)
Serving Size: 1 (665 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 503.6
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 149.6 mg
- Sodium 1624.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 11.1 g
- Protein 51.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese five spice powder