Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
If you are using fresh lemon grass, simply remove the outer leaves and upper two-thirds of the stalk, then chop. If you are using dried, it must be soaked for 2 hours, then drained and chopped fine.
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass or 1 tablespoon dried lemon grass
- 1 dash fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce (nuoc mam)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 6 ounces fatty beef chuck, sliced paper thin
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 shallots or 2 scallions, slice white part of
- 3 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped (Chinese parsley)
- 2 scallions, green part only,chopped
- Sprinkle the black pepper, 1 teaspoon of the fish sauce, and chopped garlic over the meat; mix well and allow the meat to absorb the flavors for a few minutes.
- Heat the oil and fry the shallots over a high flame.
- Add the lemon grass and fry for about 1 minute, then add the meat.
- Cook until all traces of redness are gone.
- Add the water, bring to a boil, and add the beef bouillon cubes, remaining 1 teaspoon fish sauce, and salt.
- Immediately before serving, bring the soup to a boil.
- Pour into bowls and sprinkle with the chopped coriander and scallion.