1/2 Photos of Vietnamese Beef Pho
2 hrs 10 mins
This soup is served with a plate full of fresh garnishes as well as various sauces. This allows each person to season their serving to taste. The soup is somewhat unusual, because the meat is cooked in the bowl. The beef is sliced very thin, almost thin enough to see through. You might want to have the butcher slice it for you. The boiling hot broth is poured over the noodles and raw meat. The meat is quickly cooked in the hot broth in the time it takes to garnish the soup. From allrecipes.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3784.0 ml beef broth
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- 6 slice fresh gingerroot
- 1 lemongrass
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4.92 ml whole black peppercorn
- 453.59 g sirloin tip steak, cut into thin slices
- 226.79 g bean sprouts
- 236.59 ml fresh basil leaf
- 236.59 ml fresh mint leaves
- 236.59 ml loosely packed cilantro leaf
- 3 fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced into rings
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 2 (453.59 g) package dried rice noodles
- 7.39 ml hoisin sauce
- 0.25 ml hot pepper sauce
- 44.37 ml fish sauce
- 1In a large soup pot, combine broth, onion, ginger, lemon grass, cinnamon, and peppercorns.
- 2Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover.
- 3Simmer for 1 hour.
- 4Arrange bean sprouts, mint, basil, and cilantro on a platter with chilies and lime.
- 5Soak the noodles in hot water to cover for 15 minutes or until soft.
- 7Place equal portions of noodles into 6 large soup bowls, and place raw beef on top.
- 8Ladle hot broth over noodles and beef.
- 9Pass platter with garnishes and sauces.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vietnamese Beef Pho
Serving Size: 1 (915 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 515.4
- Calories from Fat 106
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 56.8 mg
- Sodium 3294.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 27.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: