Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A fancy name for a humble dish. Fork-tender beef simmered for an hour with caramelized onion and cream of mushroom soup over buttered egg noodles or mashed potatoes.
- 3⁄4 lb beef round steak, 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- snipped parsley
- Cut meat into 2 pieces.
- Melt shortening in 8-inch skillet; brown meat over medium heat, about 15 minutes.
- Add water; sprinkle with salt and pepper and top with onions.
- Reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer until tender, about 1 hour. (Add small amount of water if necessary.).
- Remove meat to warm platter; keep warm.
- Drain fat from skillet.
- Stir in soup and heat; pour on meat and garnish with parsley.
- Seve with buttered egg noodles or mashed potatoes.