1/6 Photos of Viennese Plum Cake
My mother and grandmother used to make this cake. My grandmother came to America in 1904 from the Burgenland in Austria, and she called this Viennese Plum Cake, so that's what we call it. It has a firm, almost dry texture, but is rich with butter and eggs. I often make this cake with fresh sliced peaches. While sliced apples also work, I think plums, peaches, and apricots are the better complement with this particular cake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Grease Two 8-inch Round Pans with Butter.
- 3Choose plums that are more blue in color than red, and are soft but not mushy. Cut the plums in half lengthwise, along the 'seam', removing the stone. If there's any fiber or remnants of a stem, trim the tip of the stem end with a paring knife. Set plum halves aside.
- 4Mix two teaspoons of cinnamon with the half-cup of sugar and set aside.
- 5In mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar.
- 6Add eggs, mixing until well blended.
- 7Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- 8Add half of the flour mixture into the creamed butter, stirring just until smooth; then add the remaining dry ingredients, again being careful not to over-mix. Batter will be stiff.
- 9Divide batter evenly into greased cake pans, spreading to fill pan to the sides.
- 10Press plum halves into the top of the batter, cut side up, arranging them in tight rows. You should see very little cake batter. My mother always said ".
- 11load 'em up!".
- 12Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture evenly and generously over the top of each cake.
- 13Bake in 350-degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
- 14Cool completely.
- 15While my mother would pooh-pooh it, you can serve with whipped cream. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Viennese Plum Cake
Serving Size: 1 (90 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 263.6
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 83.3 mg
- Sodium 217.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 21.7 g
- Protein 3.5 g