Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Very pretty bar cookies--great for gifts and to make for the holidays.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1 1⁄2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat butter and 1/2 cup sugar in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and salt. Gradually add flour. Beat at low speed until well blended.
- With buttered fingers, pat dough evenly into ungreased 15×10-inch jelly-roll pan. Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from oven; immediately spread jam over crust. Sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips.
- For meringue topping, beat egg whites in clean large bowl with electric mixer at high speed until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining 3/4 cup sugar until stiff peaks form. Gently stir in almonds with rubber spatula.
- Spoon meringue over chocolate mixture; spread evenly with small spatula. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into bars.