Prep 8 hrs
Cook 10 mins
This would be great for cold winters night.
- 1 cup whipping cream, divided
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) semisweet chocolate
- 3 cups freshly brewed strong hot coffee
- 1⁄4 cup Creme de Cacao (optional) or 1⁄4 cup irish cream (optional)
- Chill bowl, beaters and cream before whipping. Place 2/3 cup cream and sugar in chilled bowl. Beat with electric mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Do not overbeat. Cover and refrigerate up to 8 hours. If mixture separates slightly after refrigeration, whisk lightly with wire whisk.
- To form chocolate shavings for garnish, make short, quick strokes across chocolate with vegetable peeler; set aside. Break remaining chocolate into pieces.
- Place remaining 1/3 cup cream in heavy small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Add chocolate pieces; cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes or until chocolate is melted; stir until smooth. Add coffee to chocolate mixture. Heat over low heat just until bubbles form around edge of pan and coffee is heated through, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in creme de cacao, if desired. Pour into 4 warm mugs. Top each mug with whipped cream. Garnish with chocolate shavings.
Delicious coffee!! I cut the recipe in half and left out the baileys as it was in the morning, otherwise, followed exactly as written. I think this would be wonderful as a dessert coffee with the added alcohol. Thanks for sharing barefootmommawv. Made for 123 tag.
Wonderful! What a delicious treat this was. I will make this one again. Thanks for sharing!
I made this on Christmas day and it was 5 stared by everyone. I used the Irish Cream (DH's fav coffee additive) and with all else happening today cheated with the canned whipped cream. I ask you, whats not to love about coffee, chocolate and Bailey's? There is no way that you could go wrong. It's perfectly wonderful and I'm delighted that I chose this recipe for Christmas :D.