1/5 Photos of Viennese Chocolate Cream Cake
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is a Show Stopper and Delish! It's amazing that 9 ingredients can make this! Lots of work but worth it. Can be prepared a couple day ahead. Be sure to use cake flour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Chocolate Cream Filling prepared 5 hours earlier
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 2 cups whipping cream, scalded
- 1 ounce coffee liqueur or 1 ounce chocolate liqueur
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup cake flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup whipping cream, well chilled
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate bars, room temperature (or slightly warmer)
- 1Chocolate Cream Filling:.
- 2Slowly pour 1/2 cup of cream through a fine strainer into chocolate, whisking till all the cream is absorbed: continue slowly adding the rest of the cream till all absorbed.
- 3Refrigerate uncovered until filling is consistency of sour cream about 4 hours. If to thick it does not whip up nicely.
- 4Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 5Prepare a 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1 inch jelly roll pan lining with parchment paper and butter paper.
- 6Meanwhile make Cake:.
- 7Place eggs and sugar in top of a double boiler over simmering water and cook whisking until very warm to the touch 110 degrees.
- 8Transfer egg mixture to a mixing bowl and beat at high speed until triple the volume and cooled to the touch about 5-7 minutes. Add in vanilla.
- 9Add the sifted cake flour folding in gentle. Fold in the melted butter.
- 10Spread batter into prepared pan and bake for 12 minutes till center springs back when lightly touched.
- 11Cool 5 minutes, invert onto a clean damp towel. Remove pan and paper, cool to room temperature.
- 12Line a 8 inch round cake pan with wax paper.
- 13Cut a 8 inch circle from the a corner of the cooled cake and place in to pan.
- 14Cut 2 strips about 13x 1 1/2 long and place along sides of pan, They should fit in even with the top of the pan. So trim if needed.
- 16In a chilled bowl beat chocolate cream filling add the liqueur at medium speed until soft and fluffy peaks form, When mixture gets pale that is when its done. So be sure not to over beat! This is quick.
- 17Spread filling into the pan spread evenly. Cut the remaining cake to fit over the filling will have to piece and trim the cake together to fit. Cover cake air tight and freeze until very firm about 2 hours. You can make a couple day ahead to this point.
- 18Invert frozen cake onto serving cake dish.
- 20Beat whipping cream until soft peaks form add sugar and beat till stiff peaks form.
- 21Spread evenly over top and sides of cake then chill.
- 22Make large chocolate curls with a vegetable peeler. Arrange them over the top and sides of the cake.
- 23Return to refrigerator to thaw for about one-two hours.
- 24Serve after all the oohs and aahs then hear them again as they enjoy it!
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Viennese Chocolate Cream Cake
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 557.6
- Calories from Fat 434
- Total Fat 48.2 g
- Saturated Fat 29.4 g
- Cholesterol 164.4 mg
- Sodium 57.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 16.4 g
- Protein 8.5 g